Juror No.623

Last November 2nd, I exercised my privilege  as a U.S. citizen and voted in the mid-term elections.  It felt good throwing the switch - a momentary illusion of power.

That ebullience was short-lived. On Nov. 23rd I received a letter from the Delaware County Office of Jury Commissioners that my name had been "drawn" for Jury Duty.  In case simply being selected wasn't enough to provoke an enthusiastic response, part of the notice included a quote from Former Supreme Court Justice Stone, "Jury service is one of the highest duties of citizenship, for by it the citizen participates in the administration of justice between man and man and between government and the individual."

Alright!  Count me in.  I am sooo psyched now.

The letter informed me that I had been assigned to 4 report dates - one each month in January, February, March and April this year.  Trials are scheduled on those assigned dates, and if they have not all been plead out or continued, I (along with about 39 other lucky participants) get to show up at the court house.  To determine if we have to report, we place a call the night before and listen to a recorded message.

On Monday night, January 24th, I made the call. "This message is for Jurors who have been assigned for Jury Duty on Tuesday, January 25th.  The case set for this date has been resolved and you are not required to appear at the court house....."

Whew!  Off the hook.

Wednesday night, February 16th - another call.  "This message is for Jurors who have been assigned for Jury Duty on Thursday, February 17th.  You will be required to appear in the jury room on the 3rd floor of Delaware County Court of Common Pleas...."

Yikes!  They got me.  I'd better start reading all the instruction that came with my packet.


I didn't have to be at the courthouse until 8:15 on Thursday (their recommended time - I actually could have gotten away with about 8:45 if I pressed it).  So, of course I got there at the paranoid time of 7:55.  Good news is, I got a primo parking space, AND I got to sit in the jury pool room with 39 other miserable people for a lot longer that I needed to.

9 AM finally arrived. The lady giving the jury instructions was actually very good about it, considering she has to go through this several times a week.  "Cell phones off, or at least on vibrate.  Oh, and don't answer the phone if it DOES vibrate (apparently that instruction was necessary based on previous experiences).  Bottled water sealed with caps are allowed.  Speak clearly. Speak loudly.  Answer honestly". Etc.

I suppose when dealing with the lowest common denominator, it's important to spell some of these things out.     She also made it a point to tell us there was a good chance the judge would say two specific things during his jury instructions:

1) "I keep the courtroom cold so I can stay awake during the day.  You might want to bring a parka if you are required to return."

2) "Please remember to speak up.  The people in the back of the room get the same $25 a day that the people in the box (jury seats) get and everyone wants to hear your answers."

We made our way downstairs into the courtroom and took what seats were available.  The jury lady called out numbers 604 - 611 and those jurors took seats in the jury box.  The rest of us sat in the back of the room.  The judge spent the next 45 minutes explaining the process and delivering jury instructions.  He asked us a series of questions having to do with "challenge for cause".  These are legal reasons that would preclude you from sitting on the jury.  For example, if you've served on a jury within so many days, you get to go bye bye.

During his "speech" we all had to laugh a bit because, sure enough, he worked in the two above statements.

Once the instructions were given and the challenge for cause phase had ended, the judge turned it over to the two attorneys on the case to ask questions.  Based on the answers, each attorney could dismiss up to 3 jurors without needing a reason.  This is known as a peremptory challenge.

The plaintiff was represented by a seasoned veteran on the Columbus civil litigation scene and his young associate.  The associate handled the questioning of the jury pool.  His inexperience showed through.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  "Please kill me, now!"  Many of his questions were punctuated by dead silence due to the way he asked them.  This went on for about an hour.

The defendant was represented by a single attorney who was in his 50's and appeared much more polished. He started his questioning by promising to keep it shorter than his "colleague at the other table". This got a bit of a laugh which seemed to reflect everyone's relief that the younger counselor was finished.

The defense attorney was true to his word and finished up his questioning in much less than 30 mins.  Several people had been dismissed during the judges spiel for cause, now was time for the peremptory challenges.

"The plaintiff would like to thank and excuse Juror No. 605".  It was hard to tell if the person was relieved or disappointed.

"The defense would like to thank and excuse Juror No. 611".  As each perspective juror left, they were replaced by another from the "audience".

The dismissal of jurors continued until both attorneys either used up their challenges or were satisfied with the jury pool.  Then a alternate juror was selected. Juror No. 622.  This juror listens to all the testimony but doesn't get to vote unless he is needed to replace a juror who is unable to complete his obligation.



I am Juror No. 623 until at least Friday, April 7th.  I was actually disappointed not to have made the jury on this case.  I would have gotten out of work for a couple of days, and, who knows, it might have been interesting.  I am confident I will get my chance, though.  I am up first next time the recording sounds off:

"You will be required to appear in the jury room on the 3rd floor of Delaware County Court of Common Pleas...."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's on his final hole. He's about 455 yards away, he's gonna hit about a 2 iron I think.

Less bad dog. More good dog.